Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Great Debate: Red Scare?



"Communism is the riddle of history solved, and it knows itself to be this solution." –Karl Marx, 1844

To start, I'm American and I love Freedom and Liberty. So when I went to the famous International Food Court and stumbled upon the Havana Café I felt threatened. The food did look delicious, including items such as chicken, shredded beef, rice and beans. However, the words listed across the storefront had me in fear: Havana—the nation's capital of Cuba and the thriving headquarters for the Communist regime in the 21st Century. Clearly, I was caught between a rock and a hard place: Do I try a meal from the enemy and risk being blacklisted or go hungry? After much inner struggle, I reasoned that the Havana Café is in the famous International Food Court, the key word being "International." I figured when Americans go to Europe or South America they don't resist smoking a Cuban cigar for the same reason—it's too damn good to pass up.


I kept things simple, I ordered a Cuban sandwich with a side of Cuban style fries. I normally steer clear of sandwiches which have condiments such as pickles and mustard. Usually such additions to a sandwich steal the flavor from the sanctity of the sandwich. Of course, the perfect Cuban sandwich requires a delicate balancing act requiring just the right amount of pickles and mustard atop a mountain of roast pork, ham, and Swiss cheese. Whichever comrade premade this sandwich must have been a trapeze artist in a prior life, because the balancing act was performed to perfection. The flavors all blended together to create a wonderful flavor sensation. The fries, I must contest, were nothing to rant and rave about. I suggest ordering the regular fries when you make your visit.


My trip to the little island south of Miami wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it might be. At least I think so…right? Just in case, I will sleep with one eye open in the event that Senator McCarthy is after me. In the meantime, the comrades at the Havana Café should keep their sickles sharp and hammers finely tuned so that they can keep serving up the finest Cuban sandwich on K St.


No comments:

Post a Comment